[P1] When to replace iBook?

David Linker dtlinker at u.washington.edu
Mon Feb 16 11:55:12 PST 2004

Thank you to all who replied, helping me sort this out.

For those of you following this thread: Here is the followup.

I decided to keep the iBook. The analysis was purely economical, and is
as follows:

Educational pricing
iBook		949
Airport card	89
Applecare	183
512MB RAM	98

Total			1319

Sale of iBook on eBay (with full disclosure, of course!), estimated
600-700

Total cost of new iBook = 619-719

This is versus the cost of out-of-warranty repair if I keep the iBook,
which I had overestimated. There is a flat rate of $349. I assume that
many minor repairs I will be able to do myself, or live with a
partially functional iBook, so it would only be used for major repairs.
This means that I would have to have two major repairs within the next
three years to break even. I think that this is unlikely to occur, so I
decided to hold on to the iBook.

DTL