[P1] Mail question

Zoki zoki.news at linuxix.net
Fri Feb 13 06:49:44 PST 2004

Le 10/02/2004 17:18, « Jonathan Fletcher » <jfletch at aye.net> a écrit :

> Wow. Thanks!

*** You're welcome! :-)

> I tried your terminal test and it worked flawlessly (once I reconnected
> my dropped airport connection). I haven't had the problem today, so
> I'll try it again when the little gremlin rears its ugly head again.

*** So sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't?

1/
Can't be Mail, can't be your connection, nor the modem...!? Hmmm, come to
think of it: Couldn't it be a problem with their DNS servers? You know, the
machines that transform a domainname into an IP address?

2/
We'll test it: Connect to Internet,

3/
To find out what the IP address is of the DNS servers:

    a/
    Use the terminal to do
    cat /etc/resolv.conf

    c/
    you'll find two or three IP address. Ping them in a row by starting at
    the first one, like

        ping 123.45.67.89

4/
Sometimes ISP's don't allow pinging of their machines (to avoid attacks). To
find out you must ping them when your don't have connection problems.

If they're pingable when the connection works, you wait until you have a
problem.

1/
Then you ping the pop3 and smtp server to see if it responds. if it doesn't
you ping their DNS servers. If that doesn't work either you can safely
assume the culprit are their DNS servers.

2/
If the pop/smtp doesn't work and the DNS does you'll know it's their mail
servers that are having problems.

The sollution? Depends on your situation. Changing ISP comes to mind...

Keep us updated about the results...

--
Cheers,
Zoran.