[P1] Accounts over a network

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 20 13:46:25 PST 2004

On Feb 20, 2004, at 12:30 PM, Alexandre Leroux wrote:

> This should be an easy one; I have two macs (laptops using a brand new
> airport :-). If user "A" want to login *not as a guest* on "B"'s mac,
> does it have to setup a new account on "B"'s computer or can he use
> his own account on "A" ?

Assuming it is your own network and sufficiently password protected,
all you need to do is check the box in the Sharing preferences for
Personal File Sharing and I also turn the Firewall off, although I will
work on this in a bit.

Then on the other Mac use the computer name and password of 'the other'
mac after typing Command+K in the finder and selecting the Server
Address.

One trick here is that the Server address can change depending upon
which Mac opens first. This caused me agony moments until I realized
that little secret. If you use Fruit Menu, you can have the IP address
displayed in the Apple Menu or under the tcp/ip button in your airport
location. Most likely it will be 10.0.1.2 or 10.0.1.3 so you can try
one and then the other.

It took me quite some time and agony to discover this in Panther, so
kindly forward large sums of money...  :)

---
Trees are being sucked dry of life in South Florida by a tiny insect.
<http://www.lobatelacscale.com>