[P1] Location Manager for OS X

david davidwb at spymac.com
Sat Feb 21 17:23:48 PST 2004

On 2/21/04 4:29 PM, "J.C. Webber III" <jcw at kingoblio.com> wrote:

> david wrote:

>>> I found this Location X which looks like it does what the old Location
>>> Manager did and maybe more. I am in the process of testing it so I
>>> can't vouch for it.
>>
>> Been using it for about 8 months and with the exception of one annoyance
>> that the author has no control over, it is a champ. The one exception is
>> that it can't fully work if the system preferences is open. Location X is
>> one of my recommended programs - and I don't make recommendations lightly.
>>
>> david
>
> Isn't this mainly for OS9 folks who just can't get over it
> (the fact that OSX does not do things like OS9 did)?
>
> I never did like OS9, btw.  I wouldn't be a Mac user today if
> it weren't for OSX.

J.C. -

I know it is popular to kick OS 9 like an ugly step child but if you are
ignorant of the past you can't help but be equally ignorant of the present
and future.

The OS 9 location manager made it easy to take a PowerBook from one location
to another and quickly change the default network settings, printer, email
address, proxy settings, and much more.

Those of us who lived by the PowerBook were sorely disappointed by the
anemic pittance of a location switcher that Apple gave us in OS X. Far from
being a tool for "OS 9 users who can't get over it" Location X is a power
tool for the road warrior. Once again I can set my PowerBook for use on the
road with a single mouseclick. The proxy server is changed, my default
printer is changed, my IP address is switched, the proper default email
address is set, and the sound level is changed.

Give it a try