Problem with DVD Playback

John Swartz jswartz at mitre.org
Tue Feb 24 06:25:45 PST 2004

I'm currently having a problem viewing one of the "Appendices" DVDs in
my Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring Special Edition Box Set - I
have an iBook G3 900 (640 MB RAM) running Jaguar 10.2.8 (up to date with
all security patches and other Apple s/w updates).  While trying to
watch one of the sections of movie storyboards (basically a sequence of
images playing with an audio track) on the DVD, the playback kept
pausing for several seconds (from about 5 to 30), play for another
second or two, and then repeat.  This would seem to "hang" the DVD
Player application (spinning beachballs), and then I'd have to
force-quit.  After a few attempts of this, I gave up and just went back
to watching the video segments.  Then, the video segment I was watching
started exhibiting several pauses and slight video distortions.  I
suspected that perhaps the DVD was scratched or dirty - wiping it with a
soft cloth has not helped.  This morning I brought it to work and tried
it in my Dell PC and it appeared to play back fine - argh!  Is it
possible I have a malfunctioning combo drive?  Is there something I
should try with the software first?  Help!!

John