[P1] Networking, step by step

J.C. Webber III jcw at kingoblio.com
Sun Feb 29 15:32:16 PST 2004

JMteacher at aol.com wrote:
> IP address is:  192.168.10.3.  Imac is 192.168.10.2.  Subnet mask is
> 255.255.255.0 on both.  I went to the connect to server, but it asked
> for the server address & I don't know what that is.  The IP addresses
> differ by one digit...iBook ends in .3 & iMac in .2.  The subnet
> addresses are the same.  Should Appletalk be active?  It isn't.
> Perhaps that is the problem.

Nope, you don't need Appletalk anymore.

When it asks for Server Address it wants that 192.168... number of
the machine you are trying to connect to.

Once you provide that number for the machine you want to access, you
should get a prompt for your login and password.  After that it will ask
you what you want to mount, your homedir or your entire hard disk.  For
this exercise, pick your homedir.  Now a Finder window should show up
with all your homedir files from the other machine.  This exercise does
not address the printing problem, it's just a way of verifying you can
do some kind of network activity between the two machines.

BTW, what about the iTunes sharing or iPhoto sharing?  Did you try
those?

Are you SURE you turned on Printer Sharing on the iMac?

Have you tried Applications->Utilityes->Printer Setup Utility, clicked
on the Add button, and chosen Rendezvous from the resulting Popup?

--
J.C. Webber III
Technical Lead, Unix System Administrator