[P1] battery life

Gary joehardy at mac.com
Sat Jan 3 13:35:28 PST 2004

On 1/3/04 11:50 AM, "B G" <briang113 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Since the latest upgrade to OSX 10.3.2, I have notice
> a significant loss of battery life.
>
> About a half hour less time than before.
>
> iBook  G3 500/640 MB.
>
> Anybody else experience this?
>
> I suppose it could that my battery life is decrease
> due to age of the battery but it happened all of the
> sudden.

First, check Software Update to see if there's a battery firmware item
listed. This was released in mid-December and only applied to certain iBooks
and PowerBooks.  It worked nicely for my G4 iBook.

Second, how long since you've calibrated your battery?  Apple recommends
doing it about every six months. I don't have the reference handy, but it's
written up in the Knowledge Base. Basically you let the battery run until
it's so low the computer goes to sleep, immediately connect the power
adapter and recharge fully. I did that on both my G3 a few months ago
(before my parents got it) and my new G4 (which I've had and used intensely
for a couple of months.)
My battery life is quite good.

Gary
--