[P1] Logic board, estimates of probability of success of

James Feathers feathers at mac.com
Fri Jan 9 16:09:46 PST 2004

On Jan 9, 2004, at 2:27 PM, iBook List wrote:

> Subject: Re: [P1] Logic board, estimates of probability of success of
>  repair
> Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 14:44:44 -0600
> From: "Myers, Curt" <CMyers at winston.com>
>

> Does everyone have these issues?  It seems like a lot of people on
> this=
>  list do.  I've only owned a clamshell, that thing is a tank never had
> a=
>  problem (knock)

No, not everyone. My experience on this issue includes the following
iBooks:

14" 800 MHz, 640 MB RAM, 40 GB hard drive

This is my current, primary 'Book. It goes to work with me daily. I
also take it when I travel--road trips mostly--two to three times per
year. It is used on desks and my lap. The only "extra care" it gets is
the result of a habit developed by owning a build-to-order Wallstreet
with the infamous 13.3" screen (the one with the video cable routing
problem and flaky hinges): I always open/close the screen from the
center, at the latch, not one side or the other.

14" 600 MHz, 640 MB RAM, 30 GB hard drive

This was my previous main 'Book. It got the same treatment as my
current one. I would still be using it, but I was seduced by the 32 MB
VRAM in the newer machine. I sold it to a friend, several months ago,
and it's still going strong. I believe it's used mainly on the lap,
sometimes by a 15 year-old.

Tokyo 2000 Tangerine iBook, 300 MHz, 320 MB RAM (64 MB + 256 MB), 20 GB
hard drive (installed myself)

This is my backup machine. Before my first 14", this got the same
treatment as my current iBook. It's still going strong, running 10.3.2
(I install new updates on this machine and run a while before risking
my "production" iBook). I use it three or four times a week (e-mail and
web browsing mostly), just because I still like the design so much!

Original Blueberry iBook, 300 MHz, 288 MB RAM (32 MB + 256 MB), 3.2 GB
hard drive

This is my partner's. She's still running 9.2.2, for obvious reasons.
If she ever needs to run OS X, I'll install a bigger drive and more
RAM. This one has actually had the most problems. IBM had a bad run of
hard drives in this capacity--the current one is the third in this
machine, but it's outlasted the previous two combined. The DC-in card
has also been replaced. I would normally have done that myself, but she
had AppleCare, so I figured why knock myself out. None of its trips to
Apple took over four days (round-trip).

All of the above machines also have AirPort.

I've worked in Quality for several companies over the last...almost
twenty years now (that makes me feel old!), and have to say that this
sort of problem usually comes in batches. Switching suppliers, or even
having the same supplier change their manufacturing process can be the
cause. Unfortunately, using refurbished parts for repairs can
perpetuate it--which might have something to do with the disturbing
trend of the same owners seeing failure after failure.

/me knocks on wood!

Cheers,

James