[P1] The Mac Rules

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 13 03:03:05 PST 2004

On Jan 13, 2004, at 2:13 AM, Tom R. no spam wrote:

> Very cool.  But to be picky (midnight and all that :-) ) ,
> sounds like it is a Filemaker standalone being used to host
> clients, rather than "Filemaker Server"?

You are right. I should have used a little s for server. Any Filemaker
application (4,5,6 and others?) can host (act as a server) other
Filemaker clients. However, only 10 or less clients will work
acceptably well. Over ten and the 'server' begins to bog down.

> I'm waiting for when one can do this from a USB flash drive,
> and with actual FMP Server.  Plug in the flash drive to
> whatever WLAN computer is convenient, take the server home
> in your pocket at night.

I could have just as easily used a 128 Meg CF+card rather than the
Microdrive. I would imagine many people are taking home their employees
applications in this manner. Of course if it is one's own business,
then one is only violating the terms of the license as Filemaker Server
is only licensed to one mac. There is only one advantage for using
Filemaker Server in such a case, and that would be the automatic
backups since Filemaker standalone doesn't do these, although they
could be scripted.

---
The movie industry has begun searching people before they enter the
movie theater. Rumor has it they will begin using green, yellow and red
tickets to designate suspected video pirates.