[P1] 802.11g on Dual USB iBook?

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jan 14 05:01:01 PST 2004

On 1/14/04 13:53, "Jack Rodgers" <jackrodgers at earthlink.net> wrote:

>> No, there's nothing you can do. If your Mac doesn¹t accept an AirPort
>> Extreme card, you're stuck with the lower bandwidth.
>
> The connectors on the two cards are quite different. The original has a
> PC Card connector and the extreme has a split plug with visible copper
> connectors on it. There are g cards in a PC Card that will work in
> Powerbooks that have a PC Card connector (PCMCIA) and maybe with an
> iBook if you can find a PC Card adapter that connects via USB, I don't
> know if one exists.
>
> I seem to remember seeing USB devices that look similar to the flash
> drives and that do wifi. Don't recall whether it was a g device.

Good point. There are quite a few of these for PCs, and, if you can get a
driver that works, then it could function. I'm not sure if you can find a
driver though...

Kirk

            My Latest Book: Mastering Mac OS X: Panther Edition
                  http://www.mcelhearn.com/panther.html
  . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
  . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .