[P1] sbc yahoo dsl

Barry Lyden blyden at mac.com
Thu Jan 15 03:57:57 PST 2004

Been using broadband since 1999. Started with Cable Modem, switched DSL
(when I moved), then back to Cable after another move. I use a dialup
connection once in a blue moon when the broadband service is down for a
bit. But I could never go back permanently now. I'm way too spoiled.
:-)

I pay $45 a month for cable modem and have been thinking about
switching to DSL to take advantage of the lower cost plans DSL
providers are offering. But, much to my amazement, I got a message from
Comcast the other day telling me that they are doubling my bandwidth. I
reset my modem and did a speed test. Sure enough: 3mb download; 245k
upload. Guess I'll stay put for a while.

If you can afford it, get it. You'll be glad you did. Keeping your
dialup until things are switched over is a good idea. Sometimes a new
connection can take a few days to work out the kinks.

On Jan 15, 2004, at 1:31 AM, Jeanne Douglas wrote:

> At 7:16 PM -0500 1/13/04, Linda van Thiel sent into the aether:
>> I've been thinking about switching to dsl - at work too much since it
>> is a fast connection. Earthlink dsl is $50 per month (now paying $23?
>> for dial-up). I heard about SBC (aka ameritech/ ma bell) which is my
>> current phone service, from someone at work.  DSL with them and Yahoo
>> is only $27 per month - just a hair over what I am payiing for my
>> slow modem connection. Plus you get a $99 rebate which for the first
>> year brings it down to $18 per month.  For that low price I could
>> even afford to run both for a month to get everything switched over.
>>
>> Anyone have any experience with this?
>
> I've had it, gosh, it's been 4-1/2 years now; I think I was one of the
> 1st, at least in my neighborhood and maybe even in a wider area of LA.
> Since I signed up so early I got static IP.
>
> Only problem I had was last spring when someone noticed I had static
> IP but was only paying for standard service, so they tried to switch
> me over.. For 2 weeks nothing could get PPoE to work; if I hadn't had
> my beloved iBook I would have been totally stuck because my 7300's
> external modem went bye-bye when I got the DSL. SBC finally gave up
> and had me contact their contractor in charge of their wiring. They
> couldn't figure it, either, and they finally kicked it up to one of
> their Top Geeks, who discovered that my DSL modem was somehow
> hardwired to a static IP and he decided that rather than dealing with
> that issue, he just reset my account to static IP.
>
> WOO HOO!!
>
> I don't really know what the advantage of static IP over dynamic IP
> is; I just know it's considered enough better that people pay extra to
> get it, so I brag about it.
>
> Jeanne Douglas
> --
> ----
> <ibook-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <ibook-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>  --  Canon Digital Camcorders start at $799       |  Free iBook!   |

>                |  iBook News, Features, Reviews & More.
>
>   RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20
> Traveler  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at
> <http://roadtools.com>

> <http://www.macresq.com>

Barry