[P1] Reading word documents

Michael Flournoy meflournoy at mac.com
Mon Jan 26 18:34:57 PST 2004

	Most of what you are describing shouldn't be done in Word to begin
with ( but I know people do it ). Microsoft have tried to make
themselves indespensiable by throwing every feature possible into Word,
making it's format a standard and then refusing to publish the
standard. Word was not originally designed to be a program for exact
placement and formatting of text and graphics on the one hand nor the
free flowing nature of HTML on the other.
	Word Processors were invented before either WYSWIG or web sites, MS
Word is a word processor. Even MS recognize this and offer separate
products ( Publisher and FrontPage ). What this means is that Word
often does not format the same from OS to OS, version to version, or
even machine to machine. My wife has upgraded 4 times through the years
trying to keep up. If compatibitly is critical buy the latest version
of Word, it won't be far off but don't expect it to be perfect. If
exactitude is what is required you need a different product.
	If editing is not needed save your document as PDF. Basic ".doc"
documents translate pretty darn good in the new TextEdit. ( But it
can't present features it doesn't itself have. ) AppleWorks also does
pretty well but usually needs some cleaning up. I put Word on my sons
iMac for working on shared projects from school but he seldom uses it.
His friends can't seem to type on anything else but he usually reverts
to AppleWorks.  I like the new TextEdit, when set to wrap to window it
makes for a nice place to write and it saves in the universal RTF
format. It will do until Nisus gets their new program up to speed.

BTW, My son says the kids at school think it's fun to type faster than
the computer can display the words. It's like a game. The game only
works on Word of course.

              Mike