[P1] Requesting advice choosing a printer, etc

Harry D. Corsover harry at corsazzi.com
Thu Jan 29 10:22:50 PST 2004

As another home-based business owner, I'll chime in here:
On Jan 29, 2004, at 9:24 AM, Brian Olesky wrote:

> I, too, run a home-based business, and I've never had to have a
> standalone
> fax machine. Way back in OS9, the built in fax software took care of
> all my
> needs. Then when OSX appeared, faxing basically disappeared, and I had
> live without it till about a year ago when a great program called Page
> Sender came out ($30). It works every bit as well as the internal
> software
> back in OS9. You can probably find it thru Google.
>
> My point is, for light faxing needs, you no longer need a standalone
> machine. And if you get a lot of faxes, receiving them directly into
> your
> computer will also save you money on ink and paper.
>
> Brian

This is the case only if you have a desktop Mac, or a laptop that is
always home and plugged in to the phone line. If you travel with your
iBook or PowerBook, or even turn it off at all, then it can't receive
incoming faxes. For that, either a standalone fax machine or something
like eFax (free for incoming only; $12.95/month for outgoing, plus 10
cents/page) will do just fine.

I agree that it is unlikely that printing will be quiet enough not to
wake a nearby spouse, unless that person is a very deep sleeper (or
wears earplugs).

Regards,

Harry Corsover

     Harry Corsover, Independent Business Owner
	CyberWize: The Home Business Solution
	Amazing Travel * Health * Tax Benefits
            <http://www.hc.cyberwize.com>
       <harry at corsazzi.com> * 877-507-9562