ibook classic

robert finlay rfinlay at mac.com
Sat Jan 31 14:42:15 PST 2004

On Jan 31, 2004, at 3:00 AM, iBook List wrote:

>> Matt,
>>
>> I have a Graphite SE Clamshell 366mhz and I have a 512meg ram card in
>> it for a total of 576. Currently I have Jaguar 10.2.8 running on it
>> and find that it really is not too bad for speed. I have Panther
>> coming and I hear that it runs faster than Jaguar so may be another
>> thing to look at. Look on some of the iBook forums and they have speed
>> tips that may help a bit more. The clamshells were only rated for 256
>> meg by Apple but they are known for being conservative. I have had the
>> ram in for over 2 months without any problems.
>>
>> Obviously the faster the machine the better but at the moment this is
>> what I have and will use.....
>>
>> Larry Zasitko
>
> Larry,
>
> Do you have the original 6 GB hard drive in it, or have you upgraded
> that? What about the screen resolution? How is OS X on the small screen
> with 800x600?

Unfortunately the screen resolution becomes a problem when you wish to
upgrade to iPhoto '04 which requires a higher screen res of 1024 x 768.
(Read the fine print.)  The new iLife suite, with the exception of
iTunes, is basically useless to clamshell iBook owners. It will not
install on my graphite clamshell 466. Same thing happened when iMovie
3.0 replaced iM v2.X a while back. Worse yet, iPhoto '04 is not
backward compatible with iP v2.X as the library structure is different.
So we owners of the graphite iBooks are frozen in time as far as iApps
are concerned unless someone out there has a workaround. I was really
looking forward to the speed increase of iP 4.0 but now will have to
stick with iP 2.x and use iPhoto Buddy to help with the speed problem.

Bob