[P1] Need info on VST's clamshell iBook battery charger

David Crump davecrump at mac.com
Thu Jul 15 11:25:53 PDT 2004

<snip>
Dave, I bought my VST charger off eBay for the same reason you mention. I
have 3 dead batteries I had hoped to bring back. At one time in their life
they were in good shape. They held a good charge when the previous owner
stored them away and now, almost a year later, they refuse to charge or do
anything. I get the missing battery icon shortly after inserting them into
an iBook to charge.

I installed the Apple Battery Reset (for OS9) onto the iBook but this did
nothing. Have you installed it on yours? If not, try searching Apple's
support, keywords; iBook Battery Reset.
</snip>

I haven't tried the battery reset thing, but I don't think my problem is the same.  I've never had a problem with the battery not being recognized.  The battery always shows up, it's just that it only holds about 10 minutes of charge after over 3 years of use.  That's why I'm skeptical that the charger could do much good.  I think it would only help a battery that isn't worn out, but needs to be reset in some way because it's been on the shelf for too long, and discharged too far.  That's my guess anyway.
Dave.