[P1] Airport Express

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Thu Jul 15 16:54:33 PDT 2004

Use a switch, not a hub.  Hub is pretty much outdated
technology.  Switch minimizes network traffic and makes
for better security.  Sufficiently good 4-port switches
are available on sale for approx $20 some place or other
most weeks, hubs are not much if any cheaper now.

But why not continue to use your router?  It may have
switched LAN ports, and likely can provide NAT and
firewall security.

I happen to have with me a url for one setup for networking
with an Apple base station and a router:
www.ee.columbia.edu/~dpwe/resources/homenet
I'll point out at least one error I see in it looking at
it again now:  the cable modem likely doesn't "act as a
DHCP server", it just passes along the IP address the
cable provider assigns whether by DHCP or whatever.  And
the BEFSR41 is a router with 4 switched LAN ports, not a
"4-port bridge".  I've done setups like shown in that url's
document, which is why I'm mentioning it as easy to see--
I haven't carefully studied all of it to see if the text
is all correct or not.  I wouldn't stack the units up like
in the photo--blocks cooling airflow.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Raymond P Reedy wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2004, at 07:30, "Bob Gir." <bobgir at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> >     So, if I want to share that DSL connection between the iBook and
> > the
 . . .