[P1] OS X friendly scanners

Bob Gir. bobgir at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 25 08:14:56 PDT 2004

> 35mm photographers duplicate slides using a bellows and attachment to
> hold the slide and a diffuser. If you have a digital camera with 1:1
> capability, you might consider mimicking their methods.

    Man, oh man.  Would this ever be time consuming.

    If you are trying to make slides into photos and move them onto your
Mac, here's a cut and paste of a thread on this subject that I saved.  May
interest you.

    I haven't tried this yet and I have _NO_ connection to Wally World or
Sam's club.

    Finally, this exchange came after a _long_ exchange re which was the
best scanner to use to make slides into photos.  The conclusion reached by
participants was that the only way to be assured of getting good quality was
to purchase gear designed specifically for that purpose...and, though I do
forget what gear was suggested, it was just too expensive to consider; on
the order of $1000 or more for the scanning device.

    Good luck in your hunt.

    bob

===================

>     Saw your posting in the Digest about using Sam's Club for turning slides
> into photos.  Amazingly cheap!

No joke - and since I have literally THOUSANDS of photos I want to convert,
my project will cost MUCH less than I originally budgeted for!

>     Is Sam's Club associated with Walmart?

Yep, Sam's Club is named after Sam Walton, founder of Wal Mart. It is the
"Membership store of the Wal Mart enterprise.

>Do you have to join?

Yes you do - OR you can mooch off a friend's club card - although they will
have to put the photos in for you - might not be worth the hassle....

>  How much  is it?

That's the GOOD news - It's only $35.00 a year and they have some other
amazing prices as well! (EXAMPLE: 12 HI-8 Digital video cassettes for $11.00
- most stores charge $10. For *2*) Epson & HP ink is ridiculously cheap too
- almost 1/2 price of the other stores
===================

You are going to faint I am afraid my friend :-)

How's 0.43 (YES, 43 *cents* a slide!) for TIFF images (24 per CD Max) grab
you?

And Film is done at $2.88 per 24 photo - as are 300DPI scans of your printed
photos (when NEGS are not available)

What you get is: (For slides and scans/NEGS):
A CD with viewers for Mac OS 9 & X PLUS Win 98-XP!
Lo-res thumbnails
Hi-Res files that print photo quality 11x14 prints

Here is a tip I learned though...

Give Sam's your slides/photos/NEGS in logical (to you) batches of 24 - that
way you will have CD's that are easily cataloged.