[P1] Microphone problem

Charles Pearce charlesp at ksu.edu
Wed Jun 9 06:23:46 PDT 2004

On Jun 8, 2004, at 6:06 PM, Brian wrote:

> All of the sudden I no longer have a functioning built in microphone
> on my iBook 500 dual USB.
>
> The preferences say no input device. Anybody else seen this happen?
>
> I am afraid that it some how lost the physical connection I assume the
> lead(s) pass through the hinge to get from microphone (next to LCD) to
> MOBO.
>
> Any suggestions??

You probably just installed the latest update from Apple (10.3.4). This
is a known issue with that update, however, because I wasn't affected
by it (it appears to affect only iBook 500s), I paid scant attention to
the discussions that have been appearing the last couple of days on the
MacFixit emails that I get as part of belonging to this list. Do you
not get these? At any rate, I noticed that there may be a fix to this
issue having something to do with trashing preferences, but as I said,
I didn't pay much attention to it, so I may have that all wrong. Go to
MacFixit archives and/or the Apple Knowledge Base, and search for it.
It isn't a hardware problem.

Charles Pearce (charlesp at ksu.edu)