[P1] Networking Across the Street

Scott Warren sw at shelton.org
Thu Jun 10 07:48:09 PDT 2004

What area are you in?  That is not the case with COMCAST in Dallas that
I am aware of.  You should go to www.dslreports.com and see if anyone
in your area has the same problems.

Translations:
  Multiple computers = they are connected to Comcast and Comcast hands
out IP Addresses.  (not using a home router)
  Apple is not supported = Their training process does not include
writing a script for their script readers (oops, highly trained tech
staff) who answer the phones.  It also means that the setup disc they
send out to screw up your computer (I mean install very important
software) is not available on mac.

Sams club has linksys wireless routers (b only) and a wireless card
(laptop or desktop package) for $69.  You tell comcast you are using 1
computer, get the router and plug in up to 4 computers into that...
wait, need more?? plug in a hub into the router and it will support up
to 250 computers.

Ok, RUMOR:
I have heard there is a way that ISPs can see that you have a router,
either by matching up a mac address (linksys was given a range of
addresses) OR they can packet sniff and see there is a 2nd ip in the
packets (NAT).  Who would take the time?  a computer with a script does
all the work and billing dept gets the report... 10 seconds to sweep
everyone connected at that moment...  I have NOT heard of any that are
doing this or can do this.  I would guess that it would show up in
Europe 1st since they have the higher cost broadband connections (from
what I understand).