[P1] Networking from Across the Street

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Thu Jun 10 18:38:11 PDT 2004

> I think if an account used excessive bandwidth (which could be as much
> a concern as the lost revenue from additional customers), it would be
> a tip-off that something was up.

Considering that many cable operators, especially Comcast, have legions
of zombie PCs spewing spam all over the place, excessive bandwidth
usage doesn't seem to be an issue with most operators.

Having said that, I understand that Comcast has begun trying to clean
up their act. This "one PC per cable modem" issue might be part of it,
but the two issues don't quite match up. I *think* that the "one PC"
thing is really one *device* *directly* connected to the cable modem,
which means hooking up a NAT router & having any number of PCs behind
it would be OK.

--
Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
"The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."