Death of a hard drive

B G briang113 at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 14 21:59:11 PDT 2004

Symptoms of hard drive about to die:

Computer would not wake from sleep- emitted a two  beep tone every few
seconds(not sure why)

After shut down unable to restart, Flashing question mark on screen

After booting from CD no hard visible to disk utilities.

At this point i thought i was hosed.

Left the computer alone for a few hours and tried restart,  it booted
but the hard drive was making a horrible  sound like rubbing to metal
discs together

Was able to pull the important data. I am assuming that it will not
last long.

Shut down and am hoping I can get another restart. Not going to try
until I am ready to copy the drive.

Now for the suckie part even though the hard drive is still under
warranty. According to the sticker on it.

Maxtor says that because it is an OEM drive Apple is responsible  for
all warranty. Of course as the machine is over 3 years old no joy from
Apple

On a side note the new warranty period for all hard drives is now 1
year per Maxtor Support.