[P1] OT: No attachments to Windoze box

Scott Warren sw at shelton.org
Wed Jun 16 06:32:05 PDT 2004

Does he use AOL?  I have had problems sending attachments to AOL users:
- Multiple attachments do not go thru, something about AOL from what I
can tell (http://www.inscapepublishing.com/tech/aol_mime.asp )
- single attachments go thru but are not readable
The work around I found here is send a single attachment but do not put
anything in the body of the email.  Then the person will get something
they can read.

Windows users in general also suffer from "lack of ext" where I make a
word doc on my Mac, call it "The 2004 budget" and send it to them.  The
file does not get the ".doc" that windows looks for, and thus can not
open the doc file with the correct program.

If you are using Panther and Mail.app, I got this from the help file:
	▪ 	To make files you attach to all outgoing messages
"Windows-friendly," choose Edit > Attachments > Always Send Windows
Friendly Attachments. To attach a Windows-friendly file to a single
message, click Send Windows Friendly Attachments in the Attach dialog
for that message.
  If you send attachments to Mac users with the "Windows-friendly"
option selected, your attachment may be unusable or may be missing
information (such as the preview icon for the file).
	▪ 	 Use filename extensions, such as .doc, in the names of files you
send to Windows recipients. This way the files can be read by a Windows
application.

Hope these help