[P1] (OT) ATA PCI card installation

listz listz at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 7 12:14:38 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Shimozawa <kotonk2 at mac.com>
To: "iBook List" <ibook at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2004 02:55:58 PM
Subject: [P1] (OT) ATA PCI card installation

> Today I put a new PCI card (Ultra ATA 133/100 Pro from SIIG) in my AGP
> G4 tower (upgraded with Sonnet 1Ghz) running System 10.3.2
> I then connected both my internal hard drives (ATA Western Digital 120g
> - master and ATA Maxtor 40g slave) to this card.
> I was surprised to see that when I ran System Profile both of my drives
> show up under SCSI, not ATA. Under PCI/AGP Cards, the new card shows up
> as card 'ACARD,6280M' type 'scsi', Bus 'PCI'. Is this right? Did I
> install this card correctly? Did it break the 137GB barrier? Is it
> supporting data transfer rates up to 133MB/sec now?
> Thanking you all Mac experts in advance.
> Jim

Jim, it's correct that ASP shows the card as SCSI. All PCI ATA cards do
this. The card is somehow emulated as SCSI to work so that's OK.
You did break the 137GB barrier indeed, and yes the theoratical transfer
rate is 133MB/s since Maxtor HDs are ATA133. In real life the rate is of
course a bit slower.
Didn't you have to format the drives, because usually they don't show up at
ones after disconnecting from the mobo and connecting to the PCI ATA card.
I myself bought a Sonnet PCI ATA133 RAID card with two Maxtor 80GBs for my
B&W G3. I had to format them both to show up. They're now running in RAID0
and my G3 acts as a server for my home network :-)

HTH,
Marc