[P1] 9.1 Web Browser Question

Mike Wallinga mwallinga at mailup.net
Wed Mar 10 07:42:31 PST 2004

I haven't been running Mac OS 9 myself for quite a while now, so I
can't give you any advice based upon my personal experience.  But, I
would recommend you check out this web page:

http://www.macupdate.com/internet.php?sub=1&os=macos

It should list all of the major (and not so major) browsers for the
classic Mac OS.  In addition to MIE 5.1.7, the other major releases
are:
iCab 2.9.7
Opera 6.0.3
Netscape 7.0.2
Mozilla 1.2.1
Netscape Communicator 4.8

All of them were updated in roughly the same time period as MIE 5.1.7;
I listed them above in reverse chronological order, so Opera and iCab
are the most recently updated.

My parents are still using Mac OS 9 on a Bondi Blue iMac, and they use
Netscape 7.0.2.  I don't think they have too many problems with it,
because my phone doesn't ring very often for "family tech support
services."  :-)

Anyway, I hope this helps you out a little bit.  Hopefully you can find
one of those browsers that will meet your needs.

- Mike W.