[P1] OT: Setting up Public Wi-Fi

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Thu Mar 11 16:09:18 PST 2004

>> I was surprised when I looked into current legislation and active
>> laws about computers... Just connecting to someone's computer or
>> network device with out permissions is illegal, even if you do not do
>> anything malicious.
>
> What if a wireless network appears in your neighborhood, no password
> required to access it?  Are you obligated to knock on doors and ask
> permission?  I'm inclined to think that it's their responsibility to
> secure their network with (at least) a password.

Perhaps, but I should think simple common courtesy would lead most of
us to do so before just assuming we can use it.

With the technology being made so much easier to use, all kinds of
people can easily set up these sorts of networks and use them, and that
includes people who's expertise doesn't go too much further than
plug-and-play. In some cases, those who do so may well be unaware of
some of the basic security measures that should be taken; but just
because one could take advantage of them, doesn't mean one *should.*

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net