[P1] OT: Setting up Public Wi-Fi

Scott Warren sw at shelton.org
Fri Mar 12 10:03:29 PST 2004

On Mar 12, 2004, at 11:35 AM, Harry D. Corsover wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2004, at 4:24 PM, gwallace wrote:
>
>> What if a wireless network appears in your neighborhood, no password
>> required to access it?  Are you obligated to knock on doors and ask
>> permission?  I'm inclined to think that it's their responsibility to
>> secure their network with (at least) a password.
>
> Let's change the context to see if this illuminates things: You leave
> your car running while going into a store for a minute. Does that make
> it ok for someone to use it while you're not (without your
> permission). They'll return it really quickly, maybe even before
> you're out of the store . . .  If that car "borrower" gets caught, do
> you think they can get off by saying it was the car owner's
> responsibility to secure it, so it's ok that he took it?

Dallas (or is it all of Texas) made it illegal to leave the car running
while no one is behind the wheel... cops are hanging out at gas
stations handing out tickets to help people be aware of this...

That is tough to compare this to a car.
- What if you found a pay phone that was broken and allowed you to make
free local calls?
- Do you think twice about going to a business or office to use their
restrooms with out patronizing their place?
- Most places (around here at least) give you free refills on soft
drinks, basic coffee, and Tea, do you ask if new restaurants charge for
refills?  If you see the tea pitcher near by and want a refill, do you
go ahead and fill it yourself if no one is around?

hmm... this is a tough thing to compare...