[P1] OT: Setting up Public Wi-Fi

Harry D. Corsover harry at corsazzi.com
Fri Mar 12 15:42:57 PST 2004

On Mar 12, 2004, at 2:00 PM, Mike Beede wrote:

> The problem you might have had is that there really isn't "40 bit WEP,"
> but sometimes 64 bit is referred to that way.

That wasn't it. I was just having a senior moment when typing that
message (that's why I added "I think;" 40 bit didn't seem right, but I
didn't remember what it was).

>  On my slightly-older SMC
> Barracade, you go to the admin screen (http://192.168.2.1 if you used
> the default setup), log in, select "advanced," then "wireless,"
> then encryption.  At the top of the page there's a selector, and you
> select
> 64-bit WEP, type in a passphrase, select "generate" (which fills in the
> key) and "apply."

I know that's the theory, and it worked once for me. I just couldn't
get it to work again (or on both Macs; it's been a while and I don't
recall the exact problem). If I can't get both my wife's clamshell
iBook and my new PowerBook to use it, then it won't work for us. At
this point, it seems like overkill, so I'll probably go on to the long
list of To Do's waiting for completion. . . <g>

>>>  You'll need
>>> to either make up a passphrase or a string of hex digits (digits
>>> drawn
>>> from the set "0123456789abcdef").  Each machine that uses the network
>>> needs to have the key or passphrase set into it.  Be aware that when
>>> you enable encryption you will lose your wireless connection to the
>>> router until you enter the key in your computer.
>>
>> Once, or every time I come back in range of my network? If the
>> latter, it is certainly not worth the trouble for me. If Keychain can
>> automatically supply the WEP passphrase, then it is at least a
>> possibility.
>
> It will store in your keychain.  That's one reason you should write it
> down somewhere--if you want to enter it in another machine you'll
> never remember what it was, and I don't know of any way to get
> something
> back *out* of the keychain (not saying there isn't any way--just that I
> don't know one).

I use a program from DataViz called Passwords Plus (which syncs with my
Palm-based Kyocera phone) to store things like that.
> 	Mike Beede

Thanks,

Harry

     Harry Corsover, Independent Business Owner
	CyberWize: The Home Business Solution
	Amazing Travel * Health * Tax Benefits
            <http://www.hc.cyberwize.com>
       <harry at corsazzi.com> * 877-507-9562