[P1] OT: Setting up Public Wi-Fi

Harry D. Corsover harry at corsazzi.com
Sat Mar 13 23:21:01 PST 2004

On Mar 13, 2004, at 8:32 PM, gwallace wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2004, at 8:52 PM, Harry D. Corsover wrote:
>
>> How does this relate to what we're talking about?
> I think listening to someone else's radio is much closer than using
> their hammer or stealing their car.  I turn on my computer, my airport
> automatically connects to the network, my mail downloads by itself
> before I even notice I'm connected.  Yes, I've "used" the signal being
> broadcast by somebody nearby, just like I've listened to the music
> being played on the next beach blanket.  But I haven't interfered with
> anybody else's property and haven't even actually done anything other
> than turning my computer on.  So, is it my responsibility to search
> for the neighbor with the unprotected network so I can ask permission,
> or alternately, am I expected to turn airport off when I use my iBook
> at home? From the lively debate on this list, it appears that the
> answer is far from clear.
> -----------------------
> Gina Wallace

Gina,

It sounds to me as if you're saying that you can't help connecting to
someone else's network. I don't think that's the case. You can specify
your home network, rather than leave it on Automatic. The fact that you
don't have to take specific action at the time of the connection does
not mean you don't have responsbility for the connection. I don't see
it like the music being played on the next beach blanket -- that is not
your responsibility, since you're not reaching into that person's radio
to grab some tunes.

BTW, are you saying that if your Airport is turned on while you're at
home, it connects to a neighbor's network? If so, is their signal
stronger than yours, or do you not have an Airport network of your own?

Regards,

Harry Corsover

     Harry Corsover, Independent Business Owner
	CyberWize: The Home Business Solution
	Amazing Travel * Health * Tax Benefits
            <http://www.hc.cyberwize.com>
       <harry at corsazzi.com> * 877-507-9562