[P1] OT: Setting up Public Wi-Fi

gwallace gwallace at gwi.net
Sun Mar 14 05:29:31 PST 2004

On Mar 14, 2004, at 2:21 AM, Harry D. Corsover wrote:

> You can specify your home network, rather than leave it on Automatic.
that's exactly the point I'm trying to make.  Yes, I can change my
settings, but so can the owner of the wireless network.  Why am I the
responsible party and not the person sending out the wireless signal?
If someone plays obscene music at the beach, who is going to be
arrested for public indecency?  the broadcaster or the listener? (OK,
that analogy might be a stretch!)

> The fact that you don't have to take specific action at the time of
> the connection does not mean you don't have responsbility for the
> connection.
But the fact that the person who has set up the network has not taken
steps to protect it with even the lowest level of security (requesting
a password to connect) is not my responsibility.

Perhaps it's time to let this thread die.  I have decided to choose to
believe that the wireless network in my neighborhood was set up by a
friendly soul who left it open to the public on purpose because the
airways are free.  And I'm not going to lose any sleep over connecting
to it, whether by mistake or design.