[P1] OT: Setting up Public Wi-Fi

Signhelpers.com mike at signhelpers.com
Sun Mar 14 07:44:37 PST 2004

>The problem with a lot of these analogies is that they deal with
>'resources,' something that if one takes them another lacks.  The
>truth is though, if a person doesn't know enough to secure their
>network they likely will never notice someone tapping it.
>
>It ain't illegal if no one cares.
>
>Jean-Paul

The problem with these moral debates is that the situation is so
clouded by the fact that some (perhaps many) of these WiFi hotspots
are intentionally left open to public use, either to provide a
service to customers/neighbors or because the owners don't mind if
someone else uses a little of their bandwidth. I don't know the
answer to this, just as I'm clueless as to how many angels can dance
on the head of a pin. At this point it seems that "caveat networkus"
is the order of the day. If you don't want to share your signal, put
up some simple roadblocks. If you don't care, I don't care.

--
Signhelpers.com
Mike Urseth