[P1] OT: Setting up Public Wi-Fi

Harry D. Corsover harry at corsazzi.com
Mon Mar 15 11:34:52 PST 2004

On Mar 15, 2004, at 3:23 AM, gwallace wrote:

> When I say "I choose to believe" I am consciously aware that this is
> an ambiguous situation, so I contend it is not rationalization.  That
> would require that I believe I am right and keep my doubts buried
> somewhere in my subconscious. (But then I suppose some would say I'm
> rationalizing again).  After reading the various opinions posted here
> and talking to others here in the real world, I've made a decision for
> my own situation.  Others must do the same for theirs. Thanks for such
> an interesting discussion.

I just heard an interesting definition of rationalization (and one that
does not require anything to be buried deep in the unconscious). I'll
paraphrase here, since I don't have the source at hand. First, the
person defined "rationalize" as rational lies. In context,
rationalizing is the use of logical "lies" that we tell ourselves to
justify an emotionally-based decision. So, to rephrase, first we make a
decision based on emotion, then we come up with rational-sounding
"reasons" to back up our decision. This is a very basic concept in
sales. Appeal to emotion, and help the person rationalize their buying
decision.

Regards,

Harry Corsover

     Harry Corsover, Independent Business Owner
	CyberWize: The Home Business Solution
	Amazing Travel * Health * Tax Benefits
            <http://www.hc.cyberwize.com>
       <harry at corsazzi.com> * 877-507-9562