Battery Problem: Update

Stan Marks swmarks at allvantage.com
Fri Mar 19 13:22:43 PST 2004

Hello, all...

Some of you may recall my posting about a dead battery problem a while back,
and I thought you might be interested to know the outcome. To recap:

The battery on my iBook 700, purchased last May, unexpectedly died last
month...as in, "indisputably, irrefutably, undeniably, and reliably DEAD!"
:) Someone - either on this list or on the Apple discussion boards -
indicated that Apple would not replace laptop batteries, so I found a used
backup battery on eBay to tide me over in the meantime. Also, I recently
took the plunge and upgraded to the extended warranty.

Even with the backup battery, which came fully charged and has performed
quite reliably, I was getting some strange and erratic reading on the menu
bar battery indicator, and the computer would often go into power sleep mode
suddenly and unexpectedly...usually with plenty of charge showing on the
battery. Just a couple of days ago, I noticed some strange behavior with my
display screen. It would work fine until it was tilted past the 90-degree
point, at which the screen would go black! Well, this was the final straw,
so I called Apple Support today. After a thorough discussion of the
symptoms, and after trying several potential "fixes", the rep agreed that
there did, indeed, appear to be a hardware problem. They are sending me a
shipping box to send it to a repair center. :)

Oh...and they are also sending me a new battery! :)

Stan