[P1] OT: Setting up Public Wi-Fi

Brian Olesky brian4 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 19 20:07:02 PST 2004

On 3/19/04 9:03 PM, "Michael Elliott" <michaelelliott at mac.com> wrote:

> the "innocent user" has the moral requirement
> to make sure that he's using a connection he's authorized to use.

I'm not sure who has the right to establish "moral requirements," but I'm
struck by the fact that there are clearly two sides to this argument, and I
suggest those that feel it's morally wrong to borrow a cup of their
neighbor's bandwidth without asking should simply not do it, while those of
us who aren't bothered by it, should follow our own rules.

I leave my wi-fi connection wide open for anyone who wants to do a drive-by
download, and I've often been grateful to those who've done me the same
favor.

If I've helped someone by leaving my connection open, I feel good about
that. And I seriously doubt that the minute or two I've spent downloading my
email has hurt anyone else.

Come on, people, lighten up. Someday wireless will be everywhere, and won't
we all be the better for it?

Brian