[P1] Slow logon to Panther

Mike Beede beede at visi.com
Tue Mar 23 06:42:36 PST 2004

On Mar 23, 2004, at 1:37 AM, Gorjan Todorovski wrote:

> Is it normal for Panther 10.3.3 to logon so slow, it takes about a
> minute or so from the point that my desktop background is shown, the
> dock appears and the menu bar (Finder) is open together with the files
> that are on my desktop. Is this maybe because of the apps that I have
> on the menu bar (Salling Clicker, iSync and fast-user switching)? In
> this period of time I cannot do anything becauise of the stupid
> spinning beach ball.

I tried the user switching thing once on the iMac.  It made the system
hideously slow.  I assume it's a memory problem, since all the
applications
the still-logged-in users have running are sitting around anyway.  It
says little for the designers that you need half a gigabyte to support
a single user, but I think that you either a) have to consider your
machine
as a single-user-at-a-time box or b) get a lot of memory.  I suspect
processor speed is less of an issue, but since the fastest machine I
have is a 666 G4, I don't know for sure.

	Mike