[P1] Firewire HD addition for iBooks

Scott Warren sw at shelton.org
Tue Mar 23 12:50:36 PST 2004

There seem to be 2 kinds of external drives, 3.5" or smaller with a
laptop hard drive inside and the 5.25 with the ide hard drives inside.
The 3.5 or smaller ones tend to be quiet and low power so a firewire
port will power them.  They also tend to be more expensive and I think
they are only up to 80gig at the moment.  (wow, who would say "only
80gig" 3 years ago?)  The 3.5" lacie drive I have used was nice and
quiet at 60gigs.

The ide drives are getting cheaper by the hour and with 250gig already
out, who knows how big they will get.  Lacie makes an external 500gig
drive for $540 that also includes an ethernet port.  Since these are
designed for desktops, heat becomes an issue as well as higher rpms
making more noise, but I doubt its "airplane class" noise.  I have
found the fans in the external units are louder than the drives and
even then its still a whisper.

One thing to keep in mind, high RPM and ATA speeds do seem wasted on
USB or Firewire external cases as the ports do not go as fast as the
drives can go... might be a way to save money there.