CCC disaster

Eric Richardson lbyron at comcast.net
Mon Mar 29 20:05:18 PST 2004

It is not Carbon Copy Cloner's fault, I don't think. I backed up all
my stuff and selected my 12 inch snow as the source and the new 14
inch G4 snow as the target and hit clone, thinking that it would make
a disk image on the hard drive. But it seems that the program was
synchronizing the old Jag system into the new Panther system... It
hung up on some hidden folder labelled private, and after an hour or
so when I decided it really was hung up, I stopped the transfer.

Then when I restarted the Jag computer, everything was okay.

I got the smiley file folder with the flashing question mark when I
tried to start the Panther machine.

So, I tried reinstalling Panther over it, and to allow it asked my
admin password, and used it to start the process, so beforehand that
part was okay.

When it was all over, and restarted, I got a login window, which was
problem one, since I didn't have the login window switched on to
begin with.

Then the login window showed the faceless silhouette, with the user
name "Others" in the dialog box. The dialog box had the correct name
for my iBook at the top, though. When I clicked on the faceless
silhouette for "Others" I got the sign in boxes for user and
password, but it would not recognize me anymore.

So I restarted with a three finger salute, and after I restarted it,
I got the box showing the progress of the startup and it hangs always
on the place where it says something "Login Window starting." This
continues after another reinstall. I didn't see the Login window for
"others" after the 2nd reinstall.

Does anyone have any suggestions besides a total wipe of the disk and
reinstall? Fortunately, data is not lost, I can access the computer
as a target disk.

Is there some Unix way that I can fix this problem?

And so when I want to clone a disk image next time, do I select
install to folder? Or am I missing something with CCC?

Eric.