Old G3 to new iBook G4

Tom Burke tom_burke at mac.com
Sun May 2 08:52:02 PDT 2004

> On Sat, 1 May 2004, Donald Bahringer wrote:
>
>> I have ordered a new iBook G4 from Apple and I would like to know
>> what files I need to transfer using the Firewire Disk Mode.
>> I would like the new iBook to work just like the G3.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions,
>> Don
>
> In theory, you should be able to copy your Users folder over and be OK,
> with the assumption you set up the same short user name when you first
> set
> up your new ibook.
>
> Also, if you installed any applications in the /Applictaions folder as
> opposed to ~/Applications, you can probably get away with copying those
> over too. Of course, some apps install junk in the /Library or
> /System/Library... that makes things harder... Because I don't thin kit
> would be wise to just start copying those files over.
>
> Start with the above, if some things don't work quite right, then it is
> easier to pinpoint what might need to be moved.
>
> Another option is to use CCC and duplicate the whole shebang. But then
> you
> might miss out on some goodies that came pre-installed on the new iBook
>
> Allan

My wife is about to undertake the same operation - Pismo to 14" G4
iBook - and I was wondering about this issue as well. In her case, as
well as the 'normal' document stuff, she also has an iPhoto library
that I know she will want to keep, ideally by moving it into iPhoto on
the iBook. I've seen the directory structure of iPhoto data, and I
believe that I could simply move the existing folders across. However,
an alternative would be to move the 'master' version of all the
existing images out of old iPhoto and into a new folder on the iBook
(eg on the Desktop), and then perform an iPhoto 'Import' operation,
pointing at the new folder as the source. Of course this would lose the
'date of original import' information, plus of course the Album
information. Can anyone advise as to which of these routes would be the
better?

Tom Burke