[P1] Panther printing

Guy McMickle fieroguy2m6 at fuse.net
Thu May 6 05:59:52 PDT 2004

On May 4, 2004, at 12:42 PM, Charles Pearce wrote:

> Don't leave us in suspense. What "dedicated device" did you buy? I
> bought a print server device (I forget the brand) that was advertised
> as working with Macs and PCs, but when I got it, the fine print on the
> box said it worked only with PostScript printers.

I bought a very similar device branded IOGEAR.  It's a USB print
server.  Very small little box.  Cost around $40.  I too, thought it
wouldn't work with my Mac because it says PostScript only...but it
does!  The key is configuring its IP address.  The utility for
configuration is PC only, so run it in Virtual PC, or use your wife's
PC.  Once the device has it's own IP address, use IP Printing in
Panther's Printer Setup Utility, and enter the IP address...it works
like a charm!  I had it working back in 10.2 also, but with downloaded
GIMP print drivers.  Now the GIMP drivers are built into 10.3.  I am
printing to my Epson Stylus 777 from my iBook wirelessly almost every
day now.