hand-me-down OS upgrades

Joy Freeman joyslists at pagesbyjoy.com
Wed May 12 08:57:13 PDT 2004

Thanks to everybody for the great advice regarding finance software.
I don't know which way I'm going to jump yet, but now I feel like
I've got options.

Now for another question: My husband and I both have iBooks, both
600mHz G3 models. Mine is running OS 10.1.5, his is running OS
10.2.8, and we have the install disks for both machines. My husband
wants Panther, of course. The only reason he hasn't bought it already
is because we've been considering buying a family pack. If we had a
third machine, this would make loads of sense, but we've got lots of
things we'd rather spend the extra money on, and since I really don't
need the latest OS version, I'd be happy enough to use his
hand-me-downs with each upgrade (if you understand what I'm saying
there). So, could we buy Panther for him, upgrade his system, and
then use his original install disks to install 10.2.8 on my machine?
Any reasons not to do this?

Thanks,
Joy

Joy Freeman
~ from manuscript to bound book ~
Editorial, Design, and Production Services
joy at pagesbyjoy.com