booting iMac from iBook

Bill Raffensperger raffy at macsrule.com
Thu May 13 04:24:25 PDT 2004

>> and booted the iMac from my iBook,
>>
> How did you do that?

Booted the iBook in target disk mode, then hooked it to the iMac with a
firewire cable.  Rebooted the iMac and held down the option key, then
selected my iBook hard drive as the startup disk. Could have selected
the iBook as startup disk from the Startup disk preference panel in the
iMac. But that changes the pref.

About my original problem: Optical drive weirdness. At a MUG meeting
last night someone said it's a Jaguar problem with some iMacs. Problem
is, the iMac will not see or mount or boot from ANY CD, except the Disk
Warrior 3.0 CD. No audio CD, no system CD, the drive just won't spin up
right. Like it's broken. But the Disk Warrior CD works just fine. I ran
Disk Warrior. Didn't fix the problem. So next, I am gonna do the
"reverse." Boot the iMac in target disk mode, firewire to the iBook
then install Panther on the iMac using the optical drive in my iBook.
Hopefully that'll fix the iMac. I'll let y'all know what happens.