scanner advice

walter wbp at tesco.net
Fri May 14 02:53:47 PDT 2004

Hi guys,

just a quick question re scanners.

I have a Canon FB636U which used to work fine under OS 9 on my
clamshell iBook. Since moving up to Panther, I can only get it to work
via VueScan, but it is a lot slower than previously, and somehow
cumbersome. Also, it does no longer work direct into Omnipage when
scanning text. It requires the intermediate step of saving images first
and then running them through Omnipage.

Now, I'm about to replace the clamshell with a new 12" iBook. I will
actually keep the clamshell because I can't bear to be parted from this
cute little machine... But anyway, my question is: what is the best and
fastest scanner that you folks would advise me to get, given that Canon
is not going to release an OS X driver for my old scanner? I need a
scanner mostly for text OCR work, and occasionally for image scanning
also. But not at professional level. So something that is vaguely like
my old scanner, but that works quickly and neatly with Omnipage, and if
possible doesn't take up a lot of desk space. Am I asking too much?

On somehow related lines: when it comes to digital cameras: do all of
them more or less work fine with Macs, or is it always better to ask
before purchase? Silly question, I know: let's put it this way: any
advice as to the best choice for a Mac at 1) entry level 2) middle of
the way level?

Thanks for any input,

Walter