[P1] scanner advice

Harry D. Corsover harry at corsazzi.com
Fri May 14 11:01:57 PDT 2004

On May 14, 2004, at 3:53 AM, walter wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> just a quick question re scanners.
>
> I have a Canon FB636U which used to work fine under OS 9 on my
> clamshell iBook. Since moving up to Panther, I can only get it to work
> via VueScan, but it is a lot slower than previously, and somehow
> cumbersome. Also, it does no longer work direct into Omnipage when
> scanning text. It requires the intermediate step of saving images
> first and then running them through Omnipage.

FWIW, I have the same scanner (oops; not quite; mine is FB 630U, but
it's probably very similar). I had a lot of trouble installing the
driver when I moved from a clamshell iBook SE (366, pre-Firewire) to an
AlBook 15" (1.25 Ghz), but eventually go that to work. The docs say
that to use this scanner with OS X, one must have Photoshop or
Photoshop Elements 2.0 installed. Since I have the latter, I've used it
for all my scanning. I miss the convenience of the button on the
scanner, but I find scans to be many times faster than before. (I'm
sure the 1.25 GHz G4 compared with a 366 MHz G3 makes all the
difference in the world).

I haven't done any OCR for quite a long time, since my experience with
several programs I've tried has been less than positive, to say the
least).

Regards,

Harry Corsover
     Harry Corsover, Independent Business Owner
	CyberWize: The Home Business Solution
	Amazing Travel * Health * Tax Benefits
            <http://www.hc.cyberwize.com>
       <harry at corsazzi.com> * 877-507-9562