[P1] Questions re. Burning Music onto CDs

PaulKurtz III paulkurtz at mac.com
Sat May 15 23:00:30 PDT 2004

If you burn the files onto a cd formatted for music, the burning software
with convert the .aiff files into the audio files a cd player reads.  You
can do this with Toast, or add the songs to itunes and burn the playlist as
a cd.

However, I have no idea how it reads them.

Paul

On 5/16/04 1:14 AM, "F. Hill" <fhill at gci.net> wrote:

> Sometimes maybe I just confuse myself by trying to think things through
> too thoroughly.  Maybe there is a simple answer I am missing.  I have
> lots of old tapes of 1970s radio music.  I want to burn them onto a CD
> to play on a CD player (i.e. not on my computer).  I have figured out
> how to connect my iBook to the tape recorder and I have figured out how
> to record the tapes, or some songs from the tapes, onto my computer.  I
> saved them as .aiff.  Now I am presumably ready to burn them onto a CD.
>
> My question is:  assuming the CD player can read the CD, will the .aiff
> songs play?  Should I convert them to some other format?  And finally,
> what is the mechanism that allows any standard CD player to be able to
> read and play .aiff (or other format) songs? Do CD players have some
> kind of software built into them that can read the music off of CDs?  Or
> am I not understanding things at all?
>
> I know a lot of you guys out there really know this stuff.  I'm trying
> to figure things out and think them through for myself and I am suddenly
> stumped.  What don't I understand?
>
> F. Hill

> <ibook-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.  <ibook-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> --  Canon Digital Camcorders start at $799       |  Free iBook!   |

>               |  iBook News, Features, Reviews & More.
>
>  RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20 Traveler

We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools
and we will finish the job.
-Sir Winston Churchill, BBC radio broadcast, Feb 9, 1941