[P1] Cameras

Robert Newman rlnewmanitools at mac.com
Tue May 25 21:00:27 PDT 2004

Angus Wallace wrote:

> Thanks for your advice, everyone.
>
> I agree with Robert Newman's (and others) remarks about megapixel
> numbers determining a purchase, and that the optical zoom was more
> important than the number of pixels in the sensor.
>
> I ended up getting a Canon Powershot A75. I probably would have got
> the Olympus C-760, except that it uses the xD-picture card, which is
> much dearer than CF, and less useful generally...
>
> Thanks again,
> -Angus
>
> Angus Wallace              o__     o__     o__     o__     o__
> Flinders University        ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_
> Ph. (08) 82013363         (_)\(_) (_)\(_) (_)\(_) (_)\(_) (_)\(_)
> Fax: (08) 82013618       Enjoy gridlock today? No?  -  Ride a Bike!
> a n g u s . w a l l a c e @ f l i n d e r s . e d u . a u

> <ibook-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <ibook-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> ----------
>  --  Canon Digital Camcorders start at $799       |  Free iBook!   |

>                |  iBook News, Features, Reviews & More.
>
>   RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20
> Traveler  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at
> <http://roadtools.com>

> <http://www.macresq.com>

Greetings:

One point on types of cards.  CF is a great card, be aware however, that
the majority of my repairs to Nikon, and other cameras that use this
type of card is bent pins in the card reader in the camera.  I still am
not sure how customers manage to jam the card in backwards, sideways or
some way to bend the longer pins in the camera.  If they bend too far
they will either blow fuses (Nikon, Fuji) or be bent so far over that
they will break off if straightened.  I can replace individual pins on
most models, however if too many are damaged the whole reader circuit
may need to be replaced.  So use caution on how you insert the CF card.

The XD card also has problems.  I have personally seen several where the
entire contact surface has fallen off.  If you do not notice this, and
stick it in the camera, it will jam.  It is virtually impossible for the
customer to remove it.  The reader is not made to be disassembled;
however, I have developed a method to repair them, IF the customer has
not tried digging the stuck card out.  I think the contacts come loose
due to the card being dropped.  So always check the XD card before
inserting it in your camera.

Hope this helps someone.

Robert Newman