[P1] Networking a printer

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Wed May 26 19:56:24 PDT 2004

I know exactly how you feel.

I've had an ibook (my first mac) for about 2 months, having come from
PC/Linux land. Whenever I want to do something new I have to say to
myself 'Is there a really simple way that this could be implemented?'
It sounds silly I know, but after 10-12 years of difficulty, simplicity
isn't something that comes naturally.

I'm learning though!! ;-)

All the best,
-Angus

On 27/05/2004, at 12:13 PM, Brian Olesky wrote:

> Since I started this, I may as well end it. At least you'll get a good
> laugh
> at my expense.
>
> Originally I just wanted to know how I could use one computer on my
> wireless
> network to access the printer connected to the other. Several of you
> posted
> the simple solution--turn on print sharing in the one with the printer.
>
> But of course, beyond a shadow of a doubt, I knew it couldn't be that
> simple. The world doesn't work that way. So I immediately set out to
> make an
> easy task impossibly complicated (as you already know if you followed
> the
> thread). I created more havoc in both computers, sent more files to
> strange
> printer icons in strange places, steadily making things worse and
> worse,
> until after about 3 hours, I couldn't print from either machine. In
> the main
> machine with the printer attached I somehow managed to completely
> trash the
> Print Center, to the point where it wasn't even there anymore, and on
> the
> remote machine, I had a line of print jobs stacked up in the Print
> Center,
> trying to print to all kinds of bogus printers, and stuck in an endless
> loop, with no way to delete them. I finally shut both machines down,
> apologized to my wife for all the cursing and desk pounding, and gave
> up for
> the night.
>
> This morning I called AppleCare, and found out I had screwed things up
> so
> badly the only solution was to download and completely reinstall
> 10.2.8 on
> the main machine, which also somehow fixed the remote.
>
> So when everything was back up on the main machine, I decided to try
> the
> original advice. I turned on Print Sharing in the main machine, went
> upstairs to the other, sent the print commands thru exactly like I do
> on the
> other...and that was it. I had networked a printer? In all of about 2
> minutes.
>
> I know ease of use is the Mac motto, but is it possible something can
> be so
> easy, the brain just doesn't accept it?
>
> Or to put it another way, I guess I know what PC people go through now.
>
> Brian

> <ibook-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <ibook-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>   --  Canon Digital Camcorders start at $799       |  Free iBook!   |

>                 |  iBook News, Features, Reviews & More.
>
>    RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20
> Traveler
> [...]
Angus Wallace              o__     o__     o__     o__     o__
Flinders University        ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_
Fax: (08) 82013618       Enjoy gridlock today? No?  -  Ride a Bike!
a n g u s . w a l l a c e @ f l i n d e r s . e d u . a u