Hidden files in OS X

Reid Conti reid at conti.net
Thu May 27 13:52:19 PDT 2004

I just replaced the hard disk in my laptop, and am copying a bunch of
files from my Linux NFS server back to the ibook.  A bunch of
._Filename files exist, which I see are hidden resource information for
non-HFS volumes.  Once the data is back on the ibook, is it ok to
delete these files?  Does the OS recreate the information when you move
it back to HFS?  Or is this a bad idea?

My hard drive replacement went very well, the online instructions were
absolutely critical!

http://homepage.mac.com/itiburon/cybergreg/iBook500HD.html

(the pdf version on his page is more up-to-date).

thanks!

- reid