[P1] ibook processor

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Sun May 30 19:42:57 PDT 2004

One of the best things about the new ibooks, is that they have a 512k
Level 2 cache. (This is double that of the 800Mhz G4). In my opinion,
this is the most significant difference between the two models.

Though I don't know for sure, I think that additional L2 cache would
make a much larger difference than the 200 Mhz processor difference.
I'd pip for the new one, I reckon. (but then if you just want to do
general stuff, then it probably isn't an issue.)

  I have an 800Mhz G4, and it runs nicely. I do multitrack audio
recording on it (8-10 tracks) without any problems. Of course, you'll
definitely want more RAM (I put 640 in mine, and it bloody well wants
it!  ;-)

Also, I believe some of the new ibooks come with a superdrive (?), if
you can get one, you probably should - they'll be standard in 6-12
months.

HTH,
-Angus

On 31/05/2004, at 12:00 PM, Robert Gunter wrote:

> Thanks for the links, Richard.
>
> So now the really tough decision...
>
> I could pick up the 800 mhz ibook G4 from the apple refurb site for
> $850.  OR I could get a new 1Ghz ibook direct from apple with all the
> upgrades I'd want (BT, AE, etc) for $1150.
>
> Anyone out there with qualitative experience with both the 800 mhz and
> the 1 ghz models?  Is it worth spending 300 buck for the faster one?
> I'm inclined to say yes, but $850 is VERY appealing.  I know that
> they're both great machines...damn you apple for making my life so
> hard!!! lol.
>
> Anyway, yeah...
>
> -Rob

> <ibook-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <ibook-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> ----------
>  --  Canon Digital Camcorders start at $799       |  Free iBook!   |

>                |  iBook News, Features, Reviews & More.
>
>   RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20
> Traveler  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at
> <http://roadtools.com>

> <http://www.macresq.com>

Angus Wallace              o__     o__     o__     o__     o__
Flinders University        ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_
Fax: (08) 82013618       Enjoy gridlock today? No?  -  Ride a Bike!
a n g u s . w a l l a c e @ f l i n d e r s . e d u . a u