[P1] I accidentally deleted photos from my iPhoto! Pls help!

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Sun May 30 23:40:16 PDT 2004

I don't know - I have little practical knowledge of what happens in
reality ;-).

I'd suggest doing as little as possible on your disk. I think the
recommendation about not installing anything new is a good idea. If you
know someone who is good with computers (like a Unix/Linux techie, etc)
you should get in touch with them. I think running undelete software of
the CD sounds like a good idea if you can do it.

Good luck!

On 31/05/2004, at 3:41 PM, Gary Galang wrote:

> Thank you Angus!! This is really helpful information!
>
> I have one more question though... Is it possible to install the
> program on the same drive where the lost data are? I do not have an
> external HD or the CD where the rescue program is (I will purchase
> Norton Utilities online and then download the software so I can use it
> right away.... Norton is the best choice for me so far)....
>
> Gary
>

> On Monday, May 31, 2004, at 02:00  AM, Angus Wallace wrote:
>
>> It shouldn't matter, about the time of installation (i.e. if you
>> delete the files before you install the program)
>>
>> Think of a hard disk as a series of pages on which you can write
>> information. you have a special section where you make a note of
>> where you've stored information (think of this as a Table of Contents
>> in a book). Any page that isn't indexed in the table of contents can
>> be written over.
>>
>> When you delete a file, all you do is remove its listing from the
>> table of contents - its actual data remains in place. However, it's
>> only a matter of time until your system looks at the contents, sees
>> that the space is vacant, and overwrites the data.
>>
>> The type of programs we're talking about look for data on the hard
>> disk, and ignore the table of contents. In this way, they can
>> sometimes recover data that have been 'deleted'.
>>
>> I hope this is clear, and helpful,
>> Cheers,
>> -Angus

> <ibook-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <ibook-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> ----------
>  --  Canon Digital Camcorders start at $799       |  Free iBook!   |

>                |  iBook News, Features, Reviews & More.
>
>   RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20
> Traveler  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at
> <http://roadtools.com>

> <http://www.macresq.com>

Angus Wallace              o__     o__     o__     o__     o__
Flinders University        ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_
Fax: (08) 82013618       Enjoy gridlock today? No?  -  Ride a Bike!
a n g u s . w a l l a c e @ f l i n d e r s . e d u . a u