[P1] ibook processor

RP McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Mon May 31 01:19:13 PDT 2004

On 31/5/04 3:30 am, "Robert Gunter" <rgunter at vt.edu> wrote (in part):

> So now the really tough decision...
>
> I could pick up the 800 mhz ibook G4 from the apple refurb site for
> $850.  OR I could get a new 1Ghz ibook direct from apple with all the
> upgrades I'd want (BT, AE, etc) for $1150.
>
> Anyone out there with qualitative experience with both the 800 mhz and
> the 1 ghz models?  Is it worth spending 300 buck for the faster one?
> I'm inclined to say yes, but $850 is VERY appealing.

That is a tough one, as both are G4 and (I'm assuming) 32 Meg RAM video...Do
both allow 1.25 GB RAM? If not then consider the RAM factor...If they both
take the same max RAM then it depends on your outlook to the future I guess.

One could suggest that there are two paths (if you want black and white):

-save the cash and get the cheaper one and after a year or so upgrade again
if you believe the G5 will be released for PB models (which would no doubt
be starting at 2 GHz as Steve promised 3GHz desktops this summer, last
year...) meaning that the iBooks could become 1.5 GHz model G4's with better
video cards as the difference between lines would be established
again..(interesting note in the Motorola site about the 7447A mentioning the
max processor speed was just this!).

OR

-go for it and get the 1 GHz model and hope to hell that the G5 PB will be
another year at least before becoming reality...if it does take that long
then the speed bumps will not be that large for the iBook line and you would
be okay for around 2 years before the speed differences are doubled and
benefit from a very nice fast computer in the meantime.

As Angus mentioned the level 2 cache is better with the 1 GHz model and the
built in goodies are going to be de facto standard in the future and...

Either way you win ;-)

You may want to wait until the WWDC conference in June to hear if they are
going to introduce new G5 models with the 3 GHz speeds promised...if so it
would be hard to imagine the professional portable range remaining at half
speed of that for long...

My two cents...

Richard