[iBook] Re: iBook battery

Brandon M. Bost bmbost at joimail.com
Tue Nov 2 15:29:40 PST 2004

On 11/1/04 5:36 PM, "Dan K" <macdan at comcast.net> wrote:

> A battery which goes directly from (say) 40% to 0% suggests one (or more)
> failing cells.
>
> However . . . if it t'were my battery, I'd give the ol' nvram reset a go,
> can't hurt and might help. I've had the best luck using it on completely
> non-working batteries (yes, I know that's not the case discussed in this
> thread.)
>
> Startup into openfirmware by holding down key combo cmd-opt-O-F right
> after startup.
>
> at prompt type
>
> "reset-nvram" (without quotes of course, and then enter)
>
> it'll say "OK"
>
> "reset-all" (and enter)
>
> and the Mac will restart

Thanks for the advice, but it didn't work for me.  I guess this year-old
battery already has a few bad cells in it.  Is there any way to recalibrate
the battery to where it skips those bad cells or at least shows accurately,
even if it doesn't last as long as it used to?  I mean, I'm getting at least
4 hours battery life even with it shutting off at 25%.  I can handle that, I
just would like to have an accurate percentage displayed.  Thanks for any
info.

Brandon M. Bost